Sunday, March 9, 2008

Glorious Rain

It rained, it rained! I was lying in my bed when the winds picked up and everything outside went crazy, from the crickets to the chickens. Then in an instant I heard the pitter patter on the tin roof, a sound only produced by one thing: amazing rain. Kerry and I looked up at the same time, “Is that rain?” she asked. I nodded and we ran to the window. Sure enough, tiny droplets, few and far between, were hitting the ground outside us. We whooped and hollered and ran into the courtyard dancing. Oh, how I have missed rain. Before we knew it, it started to downpour, and Sr. Ifeoma and Sr. Helena had taken their buckets from their rooms and were filling up on water. Everyone was so excited, and who can blame them? They haven’t had rain for months! It was glorious, the temperature dropped, the weather is cool, the rain smells like dirt (all the sand from the Harrmattan has begun to get washed out of the sky), and NEPA is on. My night couldn’t be better.

4 comments:

Cynthia Heiller Gaetani said...

hooray for rain! We are waiting for the glorious stuff too, we are still in snow seaon, so keep that fun fact in mind!

Your posts are very good to read, thank you!

Unknown said...

Mal, your posts are making me so happy. It's hard to imagine rain being such an important part of life, living in Minnesota or some such place (::cough:: MAINE ::cough::), but I'm glad you learn to appreciate it. Now take a shower, you stinky hippy! Nah, that's not true. I just re-watched the video we made in Morocco where I was complaining because I hadn't showered in three days. You told me to suck it up. You were right.

It's rained here for the last two weeks. I have a black mold growth on my wall that I think I will call Billy.

Ms Future PharmD said...

It rained here in Bemidji yesterday, so it must be spring.

cat said...

So great! I hope y'all keep dancing to the rain all year... brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. :)