Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A change in plans...


As many people have read I am sure, Kenya is going through some rough stuff right now. In the days since the election, violence has erupted all over Kenya, including the western province, where I am supposed to be going. It is so awful to hear about what is happening there, and I am so deeply saddened for Kenya. I am also a little selfish though, because I have been preparing for this trip for so long, I want the violence to stop because I want to be there so badly.

So there have been some changes... I am still leaving for Baltimore tomorrow for training. But I will not be departing for Kenya on the 10th of January as originally planned. I am going to stay in Baltimore and volunteer with Notre Dame Americorps until the situation in Kenya becomes clear. Hopefully this will happen soon, but as is the case in these situations, nobody ever knows what is going to unfold. At the end of the month, if things are still not safe in Kenya I will have to explore other options within Notre Dame. Some of these options include staying on in Baltimore as an Americorps volunteer, and another option is possibly traveling to Peru, where the other international program is located. The Sisters of Notre Dame are also located in a few countries, so I also could have the option of going to live with sisters, even where there is not an established program. So I have many options, and hopefully everything will become clear as the month goes on. My first choice is to still go to Kenya. The program is such a perfect fit, I cant imagine not going. It breaks my heart.

So please, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. But more importantly, keep Kenya in your thoughts and prayers. They need it.

much love.

5 comments:

Pierre Gevart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pierre Gevart said...

Sad and hard to have to change your plans at the last minute... But you have to know that everywhere you are, you are useful to anybody ! Make this obstacle a stair to go on higher and higher!

cat said...

Thanks for keeping us updated! Hope things Kenya calm down... for the sake of the whole country and for your sake too! Hopefully sometime very soon you'll get to see the peaceful and generous Kenya I know and love. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Malika,
I'm sorry things haven't been working like you planned. I will pray that God leads you in the next couple weeks/months as it seems like a lot could happen but I hope things pull through with this trip...Kenya needs you(-:
Love you
Tiff