Friday, January 4, 2008

Praying for Peace

Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
It is right and it is duty.
-Oscar Romero

Right now I am in Baltimore, sitting in a convent, having my world rocked. The convent is also the national office for Notre Dame Mission Volunteers (me) and also the NDMV Americorps progrmam. There are also 2 sisters of Notre Dame who live here. I have nothing but the greatest respect for the women I am meeting here. The sisters who live here are hilarious and so wonderful.

Today we went to a place called Jonah House, which is a non-profit tat centers around non violence. It was amazing talking to these sisters who believed in non-violence and used it as a way of protest all over the country, even to the point of going to jail. Two of the sisters spent 3 years in prison for participating in a non violent protest! I think that is so absurd! These women actually live in a cemetery in Baltimore as caretakers. They have donkeys who graze the property, llamas who scare away the wild animals, and guiney fowl. They grow all of there own food, and believe is the holistic way of life.

But it was great talking to them about our concepts of peace and non violence. One thing that came to my mind immediatly was the paradox of peace and violence. I wonder if you can have one with out the other. I dont think so. In order to truly understand peace, you must first experience violence, only then can you make the changes. The same thing esists with love. With out hate, you can't understand love.

One thing they mentioned was how do you help people? What is social ministry, as they put it? They said that social ministry has two feet: the institution and the direct service. And the wonderful thing about these sisters and other volunteers who work in non-profits like it, is they give their whole essense to the cause. Many people just give the extras, or surplus. These women are extraordinary and have poured their souls into their work. Now, I know that not everyone can do this. But it truly is inspiring, looking at these women.

I hope that this experience can carry with me overseas, and help me to give the most service in every way that I can.

On another note, things in Kenya look like they are calming down. Everyone here, especially myself and Kerry, the other volunteer, are very hopeful. The plan for the next few weeks looks like this: I am going to stay in Baltimore and volunteer with the americorps office. I will be working in a school in South East Baltimore for kids who are living under the poverty line, the ones most likely to drop out of school and not go to college. I will basically be helping out in Art and phys. ed class, tutoring and doing whatever else they need to do for a while. At the end of the month I will be departing for some where... And as scary it is for people to realize, if the sisters in Kenya and Baltimore say it is safe to go to Kenya, I will be going. I just hope that people will support me in my decision. I know people are scared, but I know where I need to be, and it is Kenya. Obviously, we know that things are always changing, but I am just praying that things will continue to improve in Kenya, not only for myself, but for all the Kenyans who are suffering.

I will be anxious to write about my volunteer experience in Baltimore, and update everyone when I know more about my future.. :) Thanks to everyone who is continuing to support me and keep Kenya in your prayers.

Peace.

No comments: